Please welcome my newest pattern, the Amherst Shirt!
Amherst is a camp-style shirt in sizes 0 – 24 with cargo styling and classic features:
- Collar and collar stand
- Button down styling (meaning the collar stand has a button)
- Back yoke and pleat
- Short sleeves with an integrated cuff
- Sleeve tabs
- Interchangeable squared or rounded pockets and pocket flaps with optional button
- Curved, shirt-tail hem
- Gentle side seam shaping
- A separate full bust front piece with bust and waist darts for shaping
As always, this pattern includes several introductory pages with information on picking the best size based on high bust, using the included full bust front piece if necessary, basic alterations, choosing fabric, and helpful sewing notes.
My favorite part of the Amherst is definitely that fun integrated cuff!
What is an integrated cuff?
- This style of cuff means that instead of rolling up the sleeve or sewing on a separate cuff, the cuff is built into the sleeve pattern via a series of folds.
What are the benefits of an integrated cuff?
- The main benefit of the integrated cuff is that the wrong side of the fabric is never seen. This is helpful when the fabric has an obvious wrong side that detracts from the look of the shirt when rolled up, and also means no seam allowance finishing will be visible
- Another benefit is that the cuff hangs free from the sleeve. Because it is integrated, it does not need to be caught up in the sleeve seam or tacked down anywhere in order to stay up (for most fabrics). The cuff remains completely independent from the circumference of the sleeve, lending it a more polished look.
- It’s fun to make! I promise! The folds on the pattern piece are clearly marked and labeled and construction is no harder than making those paper fans from kindergarten. The pattern will walk you through each of the 3 folds one at a time so there’s no confusion.
Amherst also features button-down styling. Unlike a button-up shirt like the Cheyenne, this means that the Amherst can be closed with a button or snap on the collar stand, and the collar stand is drafted to sit up higher and closer to the neck for this purpose. This gives you the option to style the shirt in vastly different ways, from work to weekend and casual to dressy.
The Amherst features a squared pocket, rounded pocket, a squared pocket flap, and a rounded pocket flap. The flaps have the option to be buttoned or left plain. The pockets can be omitted from the shirt, or just use one. The flaps can also be omitted and only the pocket piece used. Pair the squared pocket with the rounded flap or vice versa, or keep them the same. The possibilities are many and depend on your preference, fabric, and styling. (For reference, the white shirt has a rounded flap with squared pocket, the chambray shirt has a squared pocket and flap, and the Liberty shirt has a rounded pocket and flap with no button.) Optional sleeve tabs are also included for that cargo shirt style, but can be omitted if desired for a more polished look.
Amherst is perfect for just about anywhere life takes you. It pairs equally well with jeans and flats for weekend errand running or a pencil skirt and heels for the office. Make it in a pretty floral for shopping and brunch or a classic blue pinstripe for meetings and interviews. The Amherst looks equally stylish tucked in, left out, or half-tucked. This pattern will definitely be a workhorse in your wardrobe no matter how you style it!
The Amherst Shirt is offered at a permanently low, accessible price point, so you don’t have to wait for a sale. Grab it today and have a new shirt this weekend! Check back this weekend for a post with testers’ versions of the Amherst to see it made up in lots of different fabrics and sizes, and using the FBA piece!
Floral Liberty lawn and white lawn: Style Maker Fabrics
Rayon chambray: Joann
Pearl snaps: Joann
Dark wash flare jeans: Birkin Flares
Skinny jeans: Revtown
Braided belt: Amazon
Leather brogues: Amazon
White midrise Converse: Amazon
Watch and tassel earrings: Bohme
Glasses: Eye Buy Direct
Brown button fly pants: Kendrick Overalls, sans overalls
Heeled boots, both skirts, crossbody bag, light wash wide leg jeans: old/thrifted/model’s own